Seventeen years ago, I was blessed to become a mom for the first time when my beautiful daughter was born. It seems like only yesterday that I was rocking her to sleep and now she's a beautiful young lady celebrating her 17th birthday. Time really does fly!
In honor of my daughter's birthday, I wanted to share seventeen of the most important lessons I've learned since becoming a parent. These are lessons that I hope will stay with her long into adulthood.
1. Being a parent is the hardest job you'll ever have—but it's also the most rewarding.
2. You'll make mistakes—but your children will forgive you because they know you're doing your best.
3. Sometimes, all your child needs is a hug.
4. Children grow up too fast—enjoy every minute while you can.
5. You'll never be grateful for a good night's sleep until you don't get one.
6. Patience is a virtue—especially when dealing with children!
7. A sense of humor goes a long way when parenting—you'll need it to get through the tough times.
8. Your child will always be your baby—no matter how old they get.
9. You'll never be alone as long as you have your children by your side.
10. Your child will teach you as much as you teach them—if not more!
11. No matter what, always tell your children that you love them—they need to hear it from you.
12. There will be days when you feel like you're failing as a parent—but those days will pass.
13. Being a parent means sacrificing your own wants and needs for your child's—but it's worth it in the end.
14. No two children are alike—and that's okay! Embrace their differences and help them to grow into their own unique selves.
15. Always be there for your children when they need you—they'll remember it when they're grown up and dealing with their own children one day.
16. Getting angry won't solve anything—try to stay calm and collected, even in the most trying of situations.
17. Parenting isn't easy, but it's definitely worth it. Seeing my daughter grow up into an amazing young woman has been one of the greatest joys of my life. I'm so proud of the person she has become and I can't wait to see all the wonderful things she'll do in the future. Thanks for reading and happy birthday, Djassi!